Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Resolution

So as you can see I haven't updated this blog since May.  Haven't been too good about updating.  Since most of our friends and family are on Facebook, I have been posting there instead.  So I decided to change up this blog a bit and make it more about my New Year's Resolution.

My New Year's Resolution this year is to plan our family's weekly meals each Sunday.  I have started to put all of our recipes into an Access database.  (Thanks to my sister who already had one started from her wedding cookbook.)  I added a bunch of recipes I had in my email inbox and am already at over 200 recipes.  I plan on letting Jim pick out some recipes for the week and/or run a random to pick them for us.  Yes nerdy I know, but kind of fun.

With a little inspiration from the movie Julie and Julia and friends asking for our menus, I decided to update our blog with our menus each week.  Now don't be expecting to find recipes that Julia Child would make.  Our tastes are pretty midwestern with an emphasis on Mexican.  We love Mexican and eat it weekly.  So it will be nice to see how we mix it up over the year.  You also won't find any seafood here.  Jim and I aren't seafood fans.  What you will find though is the Weight Watcher points that are associated with each recipe.  I am working to get back down to my weight pre-CJ.  Yeah I know he is almost 2 years old, but what can I say haven't been too motivated.  So hopefully this weekly menu planning will not only help our pocket, but our waistlines as well.  I also plan to write a review of each recipe and any amendments I make.

So does anyone have any predictions on how long I will keep this up???  I hope I can do it for the year, but we will see.  I am sure there will be weeks we don't do well, but it seemed so easy at the grocery store today.  I bought our entire weeks meals and only spent $70.  Will be interesting to see if our grocery budget decreases this year.

So feel free to "borrow" any of our recipes and enjoy.

Happy New Year!!!

Stobe Family Weekly Meals

1 comment:

Sara said...

I'll be watching, copying and cooking...hey is there a way to share your access database?! that sounds awesome!!! I'm going to try to work the croc pot front...